Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I HATE REFLUX!!!!!

I seriously think that I am going to lose it very very soon.  Dylan has got awful reflux (or that is what the doctor thinks it is)!!!!  He starts screaming the moment the nipple touches his lips.  There won't even be any milk in the nipple and he is already screaming.  I am at a stand still because I really don't know what to do.  He won't eat and when he does eat it is taking him an hour or more to do it.  He is burning more calories than he is taking in.  I got gripe water today.  I'm hoping that coupled with his prevacid will start helping.  I have called the GI doctor and I am waiting for a call back from them.  Of course nothing is as important to them as it is to you.  I was in tears yesterday! Not only do I have to deal with Dylan taking a hour to eat I have to deal with Conner screaming.  He can't pacify himself for that long.  I really don't know what to do.  It has got to get better.  If anybody has any suggestions please feel free to let them flow.  I feel awful because I get so frustrated with Dylan, and I know it's not his fault.  He has always been a great eater and now Conner is blowing him out of the water.  I'm not totally convinced it is reflux but right now that is all I have until somebody tells me differently.  Hope all is well with everybody.  

2 comments:

  1. Kris-I'm so sorry. Abby had screaming fits for about the first 4 months, and the doctors thought it was reflux, but no meds ever helped. I felt like such a failure when she would screech and writhe around in pain from 4-9 every night. It passed after about 4-5 months, but it was miserable up until then. Can you use a bottle prop for Conner when he can't wait to eat? A few women in my triplets group said that their doctors told them to use a little cereal in the milk. Have you tried to make any changes to your diet (eliminate dairy first)? Are they exclusively breastfed? Sorry to write so much. I'll stop now. Call me if you want more suggestions. We tried it all with Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our NICU, we do rice and meds. That is all I know. I think what you are doing along with Leslie's advice are good things. I wish I knew more to tell you. Hopefully the GI doc will get back to you ASAP and have something to try. I'm so so so sorry you have to deal with this. I can't imagine how frustrating it is. Haley cries a little with her feeds too and that small amount kills me. I can't imagine what you are going through. They may have to do tests on him to 1. make sure it is reflux and 2. figure out how severe it is. Then hopefully they can do something from there. I don't envy you. Stay strong. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete